The Chase County Courthouse is a finalist for the 8 Wonders of Kansas
because its striking French Renaissance (Second Empire) style and red
mansard roof make it one of the most recognizable buildings in Kansas!
Completed in 1873, it's the oldest county courthouse still in use in Kansas
and the second oldest in continuous use west of the Mississippi River.
The courthouse was designed by noted Kansas architect John G. Haskell of
Lawrence. Born in Vermont, Haskell came to Kansas in 1857 at the age of 25
and soon rose to prominence as one of the leading architects of Kansas. He
was the first architect of the Kansas statehouse and designed many other
important early Kansas buildings.
The French Renaissance (Second Empire) style is characterized by the
distinctive shape of the roof. Standing 113-feet tall, you can see the
courthouse and its red mansard roof from vantage points throughout the
county on most days. Featured within this structure built of local
limestone is a three-story spiral staircase made from walnut trees from the
On the National Register of Historic Places, this icon of the Flint
Hills has undergone a $2.4 million renovation and restoration.
See website for courthouse hours.
Contact: Chase County
Chamber of Commerce, 620.273.8469, email@example.com